Thursday, July 09, 2009

Is "Decompression" therapy appropriate for my "moderately large L5-S1 central herniation which is "significantly distorting the Thecal Sac"?




Recent herniated disc Question:

herniated disc treatment in Manhattan-www.drshoshany.com
L5-S1 MRI T1 Axial view

Is "Decompression" therapy appropriate for my "moderately large L5-S1 central herniation which is "significantly distorting the Thecal Sac"?

My herniation is actually central and just slightly para-central to my left, with about 90% low-back pain and about 10% left upper-thigh/leg pain... and it likely happened (or was grossly exacerbated) about 8 months ago when I also fractured my left Pelvis in a bicycle accident where I got thrown over the handlebars by a pot-hole. I am 50 years old, female with mild osteoporosis, and also have a "broad-based concentric bulge" at L4-L5 and a few bulging discs in my neck with some mild foraminal encroachment. I have had some bad low-back pain on and off for about 20 years, but since I have seven children I have always dismissed it as back-strain, but the point is that my herniation may have been extant for years, but I do know that it got magnitudes of intensity worse after I fractured my Pelvis. My pelvis was fractured with several networks of "comminuted" (crushed or shattered) fractures but was not 'displaced' so I didnt get pelvic surgery, and then it just took a long time to realize that my ongoing severe low back pain is probably not all from the pelvic fracture.

Since I just got diagnosed by MRI a few weeks ago by my primary care doctor, I am now waiting for an appointment with a Neurologist, so I am researching options to prepare questions. I promise that I will get proper personal guidance from an MD before actually doing anything based on your response, I just want to ask the right questions and best use the time I will have in my upcoming appointments. Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Answer from Herniated disc doctor NYC

If I had to pick my favorite type of disc herniation to treat it would be the central disc herniation.
I primarily use the DRX 9000 spinal decompression system in my Manhattan Herniated disc treatment facility.
We see excellent results with most disc herniations when all other methods have produced little to no results.
The reason is that the disc is a avascular structure (poor blood supply) and once injured it rapidly degenerates.
The decompression allows pressure to come off the affected spinal nerve and allows disc to reabsorb vital fluid and increase in disc height.
I would also find a facility that offers cold laser therapy,(look into a class four laser) this help with tissue healing.
Good luck,
Look into spinal decompression on the DRX 9000
Spinal decompression for herniated disc in Manhattan visit www.livingwellnewyork.com

No comments:

 

Dr. Steven ShoshanyAbout Me
Chiropractor NYC. Please add my to your circles.